What is the capacity of Google servers?

shravan

What is the capacity of Google servers?

Post by shravan »

It's pretty hard to say given how sketchy Google has been in regards to how many active GMail accounts are out there. Back in 2016, Google announced over 1 billion active GMail accounts: Google Has 7 Products With 1 Billion Users. That was then.
Let's assume they still have 1 billion Gmail accounts which doesn't even come close to actual Google accounts: after all if you ever owned an Android device, you need a Google account to use it. So for shiggles, I'll assume the two billion Android devices Google announced were active in 2016 (Google Says There Are Now More Than 2 Billion Monthly Active Android Devices) are on a 1.5:1 ratio of devices to users (that is, half of the users own 2 devices — a phone and a tablet for instance.)
Each account gets 15Gb of storage for free + photos stored in a .jpg format outside of that 15Gb. Again for shiggles I'll assume they use half of the space (emails + back up space: I also assume no one buys more storage which we know is also false but Google won’t divulge that) and 100 photos each (64 kb each photo.)
Simple math: 1.5B x 7.5Gb x 6.4Mb = about 18.5 petabytes:
Nevermind what else Google needs to store (i.e. their search archive, YouTube videos, their knowledge base, and yes let's not forget they need to all run in some sort of RAID array to have redundancy to account for hard drive failure.) Let's just say they're keeping Seagate and Western Digital in business for now.
You can purchase these new or refurbished Dell PowerEdge R620 Rackmount Server 0MPNTX refurbished marketplace in Nigeria