What is the hard disk specification of a production server?

Questions about hard disks' performance, issues, tips, and software.
kiran

What is the hard disk specification of a production server?

Post by kiran »

New Generation Servers have 3 options - SAS SSD (Serial Attached SCSI Solid State Drive), SAS (serial attached SCSI) and SATA (serial ATA).

These come in 2.5″ or 3.5″ spec and can have 16 Bays for 2.5″ or 8 Bays for 3.5″ drives. It all depends on what you choose. I’m talking about a Tower Server. I don't think there is a standard spec for a server. We also have Rack and Blade servers and there might be slight changes in the configuration based on the server you choose.

If you are planning for Virtualized environment, you can go for 1 or 2 TB SATA drive and ensure that all your VM’s are on SAN. Here, you need additional investment for SAN storage.

If you ware planning for, lets say VMWare vSAN, you can attach upto 16 TB on each server and configure vSAN.

I’m stopping here as planning for a server is a huge task as it depends on a lot of factors like applications that are going to run on it, number of users, support, monitoring, future upgrades etc.

You can now buy new or refurbished Dell 1TB 7.2K RPM 6G 3.5inch SAS Hard Disk ST1000NM0001 9YZ264-150 0740YX at best price in Nigeria.